(This Blog is dedicated to my beloved father Sh. GOVIND RAM)

Welcome to the first Blog on the web dedicated to Liver Transplant in India Information. For A-Z Gastroentorlogy Disorders, Digestive Diseases, "J-Pouch" Operation, Yoga, Naturopathy,& Ayurvedic Treatments, Visit: http: //anshugpta.blogspot.com, For Healthy Life Style, Beauty Tips, Fashion Tips, Yoga, Naturopathy, Ayurvedic & Medical Knowledge, Herbal Remedies, Ayurvedic Herbs, Natural Cosmetics, Rejuvenation Therapies, Herbal Diet, Meditation, Yoga Styles, Men's Health & Women's Health Topics, Health Calculators and more.. Visit: http://yourhealthinformation.blogspot.com


Advertise Now

Blog Archive

Can't Find What You're Looking For?

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Can I donate my liver to save my sister's life? - Surgery - DoctorNDTV

Can I donate my liver to save my sister's life?

Q. My sister has cirrhosis of the liver. She needs a liver transplant to save her life and has been assessed at Vanderbilt. I have the same blood type. I have had a gall bladder removal surgery 20 years ago. I also have H. pylori bacteria in my stomach and underwent vaginal hysterectomy 18 years ago. I am taking bromocriptine for a pituitary macroadenoma. Other than these, I am completely healthy 51 years old and have never used drugs, alcohol or smoked. Am I a good candidate as a liver donor?

A. Yes, you can be evaluated for liver donation. I see no reason why you cannot donate. The risks for donation are approximately 1 in 200 and in many centres there has been no donor death. As far as Vanderbilt is concerned, I am not aware that they have an active living related adult-to-adult liver transplant programme. You could come to India for transplantation. The cost of living related liver transplantation in India is 45 000 US dollars.

17 October 2005
Answered by
Dr. Subash Gupta
Gastrointestinal Surgeon,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,
New Delhi
Via: http://www.doctorndtv.com

No comments: